Re: debian-doc mailing list exists

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
>On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Jim Pick wrote:
>> I'd like to see a format where users would be encouraged to submit new
>> documents that could easily be linked in to the documentation.  I'd like
>> to initially focus on generating on-line HTML (and text file) documentation.
>> When we get a significant chunk of documentation written, then we can
>> work on some other formats of documentation (like hardcopy) based on the
>> content that we've already assembled.
>
>I disagree here. Though I really don't like sgml much it seams to do a
>very good job for the Linux HOWTO's as well as for our existing
>documentation.

I agree that the original author should use a markup language that
lets different formats be produced without extra manual operations.
However, I found the linuxdoc-sgml painful to work with.  (I maintain
the Emacspeak-HOWTO.)  I had to escape characters that were special to
any of the intermediate formats.  I never did get URLs to show in the
.info format.  Has that been fixed, in either debiandoc-sgml or
sgml-tools?

                       - Jim Van Zandt