Re: need decision on packages with crypto hooks

On Mar 28, Bruce Perens wrote
> From: "Christian Hudon" <chudon@ee.mcgill.ca>
> > How about creating a new section called "restricted"
> > (or something like that) where stuff that's not
> > ok for all countries can be put?
>
> I'd rather have more specific section names, like "non-US", "US-only", etc.

The problem with non-US is that it doesn't tell the whole story. The stuff
that is in non-US is also non-France, non-Russia, etc. It might also become
non-UK in the future (see the message I forwarded from CuD), etc.as laws
change. And most of the stuff that would go in US-only can (I think) be
exported without problems to Canada.

'restricted' was just a suggestion... How about a 'crypto' section?
Countries that have banned cryptography products (or that require a
license, etc.) just don't carry it. Countries where the stuff is no problem
carry it... And countries where the stuff is ok but can't be exported
(like, say, the US... at least currently) either figure out a way to
restrict access to the stuff to their citizens only or include a README
that points people to the ftp site of a counrty where crypto export is ok.

This can be extended other kind of software that is ok in some countries
but not in other... Right now though, crypto would cover the bulk of what's
in the non-US ftp sites.

  Christian