Re: need decision on packages with crypto hooks

> Programs with cryptography hooks shouldn't be non-us.. (Is the shell a
> hook to pgp? It can execute it..!)

This is, unfortunately, a point for interpretation in the new US statute.
The interpretation I have chosen for the project is that it is OK to export
software with hooks and without the cryptography code.

Bruce:
> I _don't_ want to get into the situation where individual files have
> to be filtered out of the archive on US sites and CDs, or symlinks directly
> to files (rather than directories) have to be created.

Nick:
> Why? We already use symlinks for files that haven't changed from the last
> saved state of the distribution (rex/rex-fixed).

Actually, we only do that until the distribution is frozen for release.
Then we replace the symlinks with real files.

My objection is on the grounds of both consistency and esthetics. I would
not like to have 20 files in binary-i386/mail/ on the .us site and 30 in
the same directory on the .ar site. That would be as confusing as the
present arrangement, or more. I'd rather segregate the crypto stuff
into one directory and have that entire directory change.

	Thanks

	Bruce
--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502