Re: need decision on packages with crypto hooks

On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Do we have any offers from outside of the U.S.? We're going to need a site
> that can handle 200 users (and growing) and can contribute 4GB disk.
> The system should have no users other than Debian, and the network
> bandwidth should be high. Connectivity to the present maintainers (like
> Guy Maor) has to be good. This is something like a $1000/month contribution.

 Uhh.. that's a good point.. =)

> > Yes, it would. US developers CAN'T develope non-us programs for Debian.
> > They CAN'T upload them to the non-us ftp site.
> This is the case, yes, but I was thinking of programs with cryptography
> hooks, not cryptography programs themselves.

Programs with cryptography hooks shouldn't be non-us.. (Is the shell a
hook to pgp? It can execute it..!)

> > If master were in a free country (=)), we won't even need a non-us
> > section
> I would not be opposed to installing a cryptography symlink in the
> distribution that would go to an empty directory with a README in US
> sites, and could be filled on non-US sites by mirroring the cryptography
> site. I _don't_ want to get into the situation where individual files have
> to be filtered out of the archive on US sites and CDs, or symlinks directly
> to files (rather than directories) have to be created.

 Why? We already use symlinks for files that haven't changed from the last
saved state of the distribution (rex/rex-fixed).
 Of course, programs would need to be updated to correctly handle these
dangling symlinks.. And we could even add a flag to the package
description in Packages.gz.
 The advantage would be that non-us programs will integrate themselves
correctly with the rest of the distribution.

--
Nicolás Lichtmaier.-  | From Buenos Aires,
nick@feedback.com.ar  |      Argentina!