Re: Changes to menu packgae

On Mar 28, joost witteveen wrote
> First I'd like to describe some features that people have asked for, or
> other changes that I would like to add, and after that a way I'd like
> to handle them. If I'm leaving out something you would like to see in,
> (or even discussed with me), please tell me so.

OK. Here's some things that have been puzzling my mind...

> For (2), (5) (and somewhat (1)), we _need_ an expandable format
> for the menuentry files (those in /usr/lib/menu/* etc). The current
> format is not expandable (the last column contains the command to be
> executed, and that may have command line arguments).

Agreed!!

> For example, for the vi package, I'd suggest something like:

> ? package(vi): needs=text command=/usr/bin/vi section=Apps/Editors title=Vi \
>                longdesc="The editor that people complain even \
>                more about than the aboutweather, vi." \
> 	       id=vi sort=aa myfunkyvar=lichtbewolkt

Looks a lot better than the old one.

What was the result of the icon
discussion? Personaly I don't like icons that are bigger than text and
even less menus with many-sized icons even less (current situation).
I think that there should be a minicon="foo/bar.xpm" and a icon="foo2.xpm",
where the minicon would be a 95-style mini-icon and icon a universal 32x32
icon.

Then, let the users have a ./menurc what could be something like:

menuicontype={mini,normal,none}
desctype={long,short}
menufont=foo
sort={alphabetic, reverse, whatever}

etc.

Then, one important annoyance - menus can get unbelievable long. For example,
try reading the xlock menuentries on a 640x480 screen. Your choice of
screensavers will be reduced to 1/4 of all the modes...

On the old fvwm95 menu (the one without menu:), there were "screensavers a-m"
and "screensavers n-z". this kind of behavior should be automatized
somehow...

And one more idea: when you compare the "start" menu that comes with
"fvwm95" and "menu", you immediately realize that fvwm95 has a pretty
decorated menu with mini-icons, while the first step of "menu" -style menus
is dull without any kind of icons.

I dont know how this could be solved.

Riku Voipio

      Riku Voipio                     e-mail:                    ///\\\
    pohjolankatu 20 A 12         riku.voipio@sci.fi             ////\\\\
     50120 Mikkeli            finger voipio@sci.fi for pgp     /////\\\\\