Re: proposal for limiting menu icons color and size

On 11 Mar 1997, Kenneth MacDonald wrote:

> Chris Walker <cjw1006@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > A different, but related point was that minimised icons look better if
> > they are the same size. For this, a larger icon is needed. I'd be
> > happy with 32x32, although 48x48 was suggested. Using
> > iconname.size.xpm to differentiate them seems a good idea.
>
> Yup, I'm willing to change fvwm95 to look for iconname.size.xpm, and
> fall back to iconname.xpm if it isn't found.

In /usr/doc/fvwm95, it says:
	I have included in the directory mini-icons some 16x14 pixmaps
        that can be used for the menus (the example.fvwm2rc95 uses some of
        them).

Is this really correct? One of the reasons I've supported the
suggestion of 16x16 is that I was under the impression that that is what
is used by Win95. If there are good reasons to do something different,
then fair enough, but I feel we ought to be aware we are doing so.

> > AFAIK, menu doesn't support providing icons for minimised apps. It would be
> > nice if something could, and I think menu would be a reasonable place
> > to do so. An extension to the format of the menu definition file is
> > required so that the appropriate icon is used.
>
> fvwm* based window managers identify icons to windows via the X class
> or window title. An application may have more than one icon for
> windows, so the extension has to be a pair list ("class|name",
> iconname).  I've already discussed this a bit with Joost.

Excellent. I'll leave you to it.

> > PS I'm currently having problems with user menus and fvwm2. I'll try to
> > investigate further when I have time. It may just be failure to RTFM
> > properly on my behalf. /usr/doc/menu and man update-menus differ on
> > whether they should be in ~/.menu or ~/.menus though I think there is
> > more to it than that
>
> You need to name your ~/.menu/ files local.<file>.  If there's no
> 'local.', then the update-menus program ignores it - if there isn't a
> Debian package called 'file' installed on your system.

Ah, thanks very much, that seems to work.

Chris