Re: Packaging HOWTO

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Christian Schwarz wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Igor Grubman wrote:
> > > Perhaps you could post a table-of-contents when you know the contents.
> > >

> > Ok, here is what I am thinking of:  I want the whole HOWTO be based on
> > some hypothetical package, so that it would be like learning by example.
> > I plan to use some of the content from Jaldhar's document.  I do like his
> > approach and style.  Jaldhar, I hope you don't mind ....
> >
> > As for the table of contents, here is my first attempt:
> >
> > 1. Introduction: explanation of  Debian's goals, free software, why the
> > howto was written, etc.
> > 2. Getting the source and converting to debian source format (creating
> > debian dir and putting the necessary basic files there)
> > 3. Rules file structure, and how to make it work with upstream makefile,
> > etc.
> > 4. Conffile handling
> > 5. Building a package
> > 6. Menu file
> > 7. Maintainer Scripts: I am not yet proficient at things like changing a
> > conffile from the maintainer script.  This section will probably be very
> > brief at the beginning, and maybe someone else would enhance it later
> > 8. Library building.  Probably won't be included in the first draft, since
> > I didn't try to do this yet, but plan to in the future.
> > 9. Init/update-rc.d.  Again, will not be covered in detail since I don't
> > know too much about this, but do want to explore, so the section will grow
> > with time.
> >
> > I know, this looks kind of like Programmer's manual table of contents, but
> > I want to make it much shorter, and more readable.
>
> Looks good so far, but I'll suggest you drop section 1 about the Project.
> I don't think this belongs into the Packaging HOWTO.

Agreed.  I wasn't sure if I should put it there myself, but decided to see
what the reaction would be....

> IMHO we need a "Debian User's Guide". This guide should include all
> existing documents (rewritten) and a few new ones. I think we should
> discuss this further (perhaps on a newly created mailing list?).
>
> Then your Packaging HOWTO could be a chapter of that document. That's why
> I'd suggest not to include the same stuff over and over again. There are
> several approaches to explain the Debian Project and the goals but none of
> them is really good I think.

I really like this idea.  Let's start working on organizing this project.
I feel our biggest problem is the lack of documentation.  This User's
guide will be a huge step in the right direction.  I might contribute to
the other sections once I am finished with this one.

__
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman                                             igor@vaca.net