Re: debmake: a compromise?

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, [iso-8859-1] Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Richard G. Roberto wrote:
>
> > I just want to make two points:
> > 1) now I understand why Ian feels the way he does.
> > 2) now I understand why Bruce feels the way he does.
> > You really shouldn't be the one to write the "standard" package
> > builder.
> > We really should just bag it and go with RPM.
>
>  Perhaps you really should bag yourself (?) and go to RedHat.. =b

This will no doubt keep going downhill from here.

>  debstd it's just a script that
> 1) finds manpages in the package, decides if they should be compressed and
> installs them.
> 2) checks file permissions
> 3) checks for common maintainer errors and issues warnings when apropiate
> (e. g. I once installed a file with install, and it had the execute bit,
> debstd warned: `executable in non standard place').
>
>  What Christoph was trying to explain you was that if dewbstd simply
> inserted commands into the rules file, one vital capability of debstd
> would be lost. Now, if we decide that manpages less than 15kb shouldn't be
> compressed, or libraries in /usr/bin shouldn't have the executable bit
> set, a new version of netstd will automatically handle this new standard
> decisions...

What does netstd have to do with this?  Whatever _debstd_ does
automatically needs to be REDONE when things change (i.e. a
package needs to be rebuilt).  In which case, debstd get rerun.
This would still happen if commands were placed into the rules
file and the benefits of using debstd to do it (automatically)
would be the same.  Either you just don't see my point, or I just
don't see yours.

>  And: `Work done is work done'. If you think that these issues should be
> hanbdled in a better way, you are free to code a better utility. You are
> free to not use debstd (you are free to run RedHat also).

I think I'll just go back to Slackware and roll my own.  I'll no
longer try to push Linux into my corporate environment (not until
it matures both technically and culturally).  I have enough crap
to deal with without dealing with your emotional baggage too.

I like linux, and Debian, but this just isn't working out for me.
Please remove me from the developer lists.  I'm abandoning two
packages:

dunc: a very laim attempt at automating a ppp connection
rlpr: a very clever printing utility.

Good luck everybody.  I wish the project well, it certainly has
potential.

Thanks

Richard G. Roberto
richr@bear.com