Re: debmake: a compromise?

On 21 Feb 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> 	I'm unsure what the process of ``bagging'' entails, but it
>  sounds quite unsavory, and so could we please refrain from doing so?
>  (I admit, I'm cultuaraly, umm, challenged, when it comes to modern
>  english [or is it american?] idion).

 Pst! I don't fully know what does it mean... But it sounded... er.. I
also don't know the word `unsavory'.. =)

> Nicolás> What Christoph was trying to explain you was that if dewbstd
> Nicolás> simply inserted commands into the rules file, one vital
> Nicolás> capability of debstd would be lost.
> 	I think this happens not to be the case -- we could have the
>  best of both worlds, with patience, and a bit of work.

 I see using an script as a more natural way to do this. Perhaps debstd
whould be broken down into smaller pieces, perhaps the interface should be
changed, but I like de idea of a defined set of utilities, with a defined
interface, totally split (<- good word?) from the package itself. It's
just how I see things.
 I think that many of the people that say that debstd should be a
`compiler' say that in order to solve the problem of a obscure macro
script that does it all. That problem could be solved in better ways, I
think.

> Nicolás> And: `Work done is work done'. If you think that these issues
> Nicolás> should be hanbdled in a better way, you are free to code a
> Nicolás> better utility. You are free to not use debstd (you are free
> Nicolás> to run RedHat also).
> 	Quite so. But I do believe that even the best of us (outside a
>  pantheon) could do with a little bit of constructive critiquing.

 Ok... sorry.

> 	Also, we do *not* want everyone coding yet another package
>  automation tool *before* they come to this forum to discuss
>  details. (which is the logical requirement for a discussion by your
>  standards ;-) ;-)

 They can write such tools! We are free to not use them... =)

Nicolás Lichtmaier.-
nick@feedback.com.ar