new start-stop-daemon

[Ian, you're are the maintainer of dpkg, so I'll CC this to you. Hope you
don't mind :-) ]

Hi folks!

Marek Michalkiewicz <marekm@i17linuxb.ists.pwr.wroc.pl> rewrote the
start-stop-daemon program in C. I tested it for some time and it works
perfect as a drop-in replacement for the old Perl script.

The new binary is 9740 bytes large (the old one has 4889 bytes), so size
is not a problem. But the new program is perhaps a bit faster and doesn't
require Perl, so there are less dependencies for our base system.

I made some changes to make the status message apply to the new standard
for console messages.

Therefore I would suggest that we replace the old Perl script with the new
version.

However, if we should decide to stick to the old script, I'll make some
changes to it, so that it applies to the standard as well.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz