Re: making dselect easier to use

On 28 Jan 1997, Milan Zamazal wrote:

>     s: 2.  Make dselect hierarchical. It could be implemented similar
>     s: to the way lynx works: you use the arrow keys to move up and
>     s: down and go right to get more detailed info on the current
>     s: selection.  The top level would be a list similar (identical
>     s: would be best) to the directories in the binary level of the
>     s: distribution, i.e. admin, base, comm, devel...
>
> Good idea.  I don't like long scrolling in dselect when I need some
> e.g x11 package.  But '/' search facility should remain global.

I'm currently agree with it. Also, is the way that Slackware, RedHat,
kernel config, Debian Install, timezone, etc. work. Can't be that mush
confusing ;)

>     s: One other modification at the second level is that packages
>     s: providing the same functionality could be further grouped into
>     s: a third level. For example, under web, all the web browsers
>     s: would be in one group while the servers would be in a
>     s: 2nd. Possibly more fine grained than the expert wants, but this
>     s: is for the beginner. The expert can still just use a search at
>     s: the top level to jump right to a desired package.
>
> I'm not sure whether adding third level good or not.  It helps in
> orientation but makes browsing more difficult.

Agreed too with that. I already prefere to see non-free and contrib packages
merge with into the correct category (such as mail, x11, etc.) with the
distribution of each one clearly indicate in a field or something like that.
An option to see the /usr/doc/package/copyright of each package (if it
exists) could be very useful too. By the same time, I'm used to browse the
new debian packages mail to see if I have to upgrade or not a package. May be
we can do the same thing for /usr/doc/package/changelog.debian ?

>     s: Also at the top level would be an options selection. In
there >     s: you could set options to personalize dselect. For example you
>     s: could set a Silent option to let dselect silently select any
>     s: dependencies for you.
>
> And option for default package order (`oO' keys) would be very nice
> too.
>
> Milan Zamazal

This isn't exist already?

 "When all else fails, read the instructions."
                                          -- Cahn's Axiom
Fabien Ninoles aka le Veneur aka le Corbeau
E-mail: Ninf01@gel.usherb.ca
WebPage: http://www-edu.gel.usherb.ca/ninf01
Finger me for my pgp key (finger ninf01@gel.usherb.ca)