New dselect method

Over the last couple of days, I have written a new method for dselect
which uses mounted partitions, just like the standard ones (disk, nfs,
...), and also packaged it. However, I have seen a couple of hints that
some kind of new system is in progress anyway, and if this is the case I
would be more than happy to provide the code I've written to this effort,
rather than keeping it seperate.

Features of this new code include:

  o Automatic mounting/unmounting as needed, based (currently) on
    /etc/fstab

  o Logging of each install run. This is currently unfinished, but better
    than nothing IMHO. :)

  o Does NOT use dpkg -iGROEB, but instead parses the status and
    available files. Speedups can be dramatic.

  o Seamless support for local directories containing packages as well as
    those in the distribution, and automatic generation of Packages files
    for them when necessary.

I'm currently testing it locally; advice on whether to try to upload it
would be appreciated.

Oh, and I've called it `dpkg-mountable,' by comparison with dpkg-ftp. If
it's worth uploading, is this name OK, or is it perhaps a bit long?

Thanks,

&E

--
Andy Mortimer, andy.mortimer@poboxes.com