Re: Two things that need attention

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

" rn E. Hansen":
>   I was talking about the 'rehash' procedure... takes a second for the
> cache to reinstall.

I don't think there is an external way to ask the shell to do rehash.

>   I thought, as after you've installed a package (I'm running tcsh, by
> the way... 6.07), the shell doesn't know about the package installed.

That's because Tcsh is broken. It builds the command name cache
when it starts up, and won't notice new commands unless the
user does `rehash'. It's not a problem for Bash. Bash finds
new commands without problems, but it can have problems if a
command is moved to a new location.

If I were in an advocacy group, I'd say the only problem here is
making Tcsh available. :-)

I think we can deal with this by adding a sentence to a suitable
location in the dpkg manual page.