no final newline in source package: how to deal with this?

I have a source package (xbanner) that has in it a file without a final
newline. Of course, this breaks dpkg-source -x.

But how to fix it? Adding a final newline to the file in the patch isn't
good enough. It seems that I have to add the final newline to the actual
.orig.tar.gz file, ie, modify the original source.

Is there not a better way?

--
      "How appropriate, you fight like a cow." - - Guybrush Threepwood