New source format repackaging: Status. [LONG]

      Hello,

Here's the updated list of packages needing to be in new source format
before "bo" freeze (Feb. 27th).

There are many more packages in the old source format, but our first goal
will be to convert sources of packages with priority "required" or
"standard", to make the job easier to people working on non-i386 ports. The ~
200 other packages will follow soon.

Please tell me if there are errors in this list, or if some packages are
missing (and updates of course).

Quick Policy about "repackaging":
---------------------------------

Concerning developpers with packages in old source format:

1/ If one or more of your packages are listed bellow, please try to make the
changes yourself. If you can't for some reason, please email me the list of
your packages you'd like someone else to convert. (Add if you want the diff's
to be sent up to you to make the upload yourself, or if you want to orphan
the package).

2/ If you don't "show up" for 1 week (ie: no new package uploaded and no
email sent to request help), someone will make the changes for you.

Concerning developpers doing repackaging:

1/ Before you start working on a package, email the package maintainer and me
so that we can keep track of who's doing what (and avoid some work being done
twice).

2/ "Repackagers" are encouraged (but certainly not forced) to:
        - upgrade to upstream release if applicable.
        - have a look at the bug reports concerning the package and try
	to correct and close some of them.

3/ Once the conversion is done:
	Send the diffs to the maintainer so that he can upload the package. If
there's no reply/upload from him for 2 weeks. The package will be uploaded to
master by the repackager with the maintainer field set to "orphan". (Unless
he or someone else want to take over it).

3'/ Some might think the delays are a bit short, but:
        - Now + 1 week + 2 weeks =~ 1 week before "bo" freeze.
        - I guess 1 week is enough to send an email saying "I'm busy,
        please repackage my packages for me, thanx."

General stuff:

List of _known_ orphaned packages (there are probably many more):

libc4                     extra     libs        (orphaned)
libc4-dev                 extra     devel       (orphaned)
gopher-client             extra     non-free    (orphan)
gopherd                   extra     non-free    (orphan)

those 4 are in still in the old package format, but I don't think these
packages are very usefull anymore, and can be safely dropped unless someone
really wants to maintain them.

        As always, comments/questions/feedback welcome...

And now the list: _(;

   PACKAGE LIST (sort by package priority: "required" and "standard" only)
Package Name              Priority    Section       Maintainer
bsdutils                  required  base        Austin Donnelly <and1000@debian.org>
libc5                     required  base        David Engel <david@debian.org>
mbr                       required  base        Bruce Perens <Bruce@Pixar.com>
mount                     required  base        Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org>
ncurses-base              required  base        Michael Alan Dorman
ncurses-bin               required  base        Michael Alan Dorman
ncurses3.0                required  base        Michael Alan Dorman
sysklogd                  required  base        Martin Schulze <joey@linux.de>
tar                       required  base        Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
timezone                  required  base        Fernando Alegre <alegre@mars.superlink.net>
bison                     standard  devel       Anders Chrigstrom <ac@netg.se>
dnsutils                  standard  net         Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org>
dvipsk                    standard  tex         Christian Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>
electric-fence            standard  devel       Siggy Brentrup <bsb@uni-muenster.de>
emacs                     standard  editors     Mark Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
file                      standard  utils       Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>
flex                      standard  devel       Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org>
gpm                       standard  misc        Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.north.de>
iamerican                 standard  text        Kenneth MacDonald <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk>
ibritish                  standard  text        Kenneth MacDonald <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk>
ispell                    standard  text        Kenneth MacDonald <K.MacDonald@ed.ac.uk>
kpathsea                  standard  tex         Christian Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>
latex                     standard  tex         Erick Branderhorst <branderh@debian.org>
less                      standard  text        Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>
libc5-dev                 standard  devel       David Engel <david@debian.org>
lpr                       standard  net         Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
mfbasfnt                  standard  tex         Erick Branderhorst <branderh@debian.org>
mfbin                     standard  tex         Christian Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>
mflib                     standard  tex         Erick Branderhorst <branderh@debian.org>
mpack                     standard  mail        Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org>
mtools                    standard  otherosfs   Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com>
ncurses-term              standard  admin       Michael Alan Dorman
patch                     standard  utils       Darren Stalder <torin@daft.com>
rcs                       standard  devel       Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de>
sox                       standard  sound       Robert Leslie <rob@mars.org>
texbin                    standard  tex         Christian Schwarz <schwarz@debian.org>
texlib                    standard  tex         Erick Branderhorst <branderh@debian.org>
wenglish                  standard  text        Erick Branderhorst

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -