dpkg and /usr/local (and other nfs-mounted directories)

The following is from a posting to comp.os.linux.setup:

With recent versions of RPM you setup a tree (like /usr) as a net shared
path by adding "netsharedpath: /usr" to your /etc/rpmrc. The paths are :
separated.

RPM won't install or remove files from that path (normally the path will
be mounted r/o from a server) but will verify against it.

<hack>

IMHO, this is *exactly* the sort of feature we need for dpkg to
resolve the ro /usr/local problems we've been having.  Input anyone?

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh@bofh.me.umn.edu			University of MN, ME Dept