Re: question about package building

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:

> 1.  When I run deb-make, it creates a debian/control file with the
> field Architecture set to "any".  I have edited this to reflect the
> architecture on which I'm building the package.  But I notice that
> only a few of the other debian source packages I've looked at have
> an Architecture field set to anything but "any".  Now, I realize
> that packages which are basically scripts might reasonably be
> set to "any", but I don't understand why so many packages with
> compiled programs should be set to "any", since I doubt that many
> of them were actually built with cross-compilers.  What's going on here?

The architecture is for those architectures the package CAN be built on.
dpkg-buildpackage understands when you've compiled a source package it is
only for the arch you compiled under.  However, most programs can be run
under any arch just by recompiling them.  Only a few (bin86 for example)

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>
Argue for your limitations and sure enough, they're yours.

Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer, my
terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any
resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.  The
question of the existence of views in the absence of anyone to hold them is
left as an exercise for the reader.  The question of the existence of the
reader is left as an exercise for the second god coefficient.  (A discussion
of non-orthogonal, non-integral polytheism is beyond the scope of this
article.)