Re: Official Debian CD decision

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> 5. Any party may sell the ISO image or a copy of our FTP archive as
>    "Debian <version-number>" without an agreement with, or fee from,
>    the Debian Project.

It couldn't be any other way.

> 6. Parties that execute a contract with the Debian distribution may
>    sell a copy of the ISO image as "Debian <version-number>, Official
>    Release", and may use special artwork provided by the Debian project
>    and a legend that states that a part of the proceeds from the CD are
>    paid to the Debian project. For the privilege of selling the
>    official release, Debian will charge US$2 per unit, billable 180
>    days after shipment. This should allow manufacturers enough time to
>    accumulate returned units, which may be subtracted from the fee due.
>    Returns after to that time can be subtracted from the fee due for
>    later shipments.

Send me a contract as soon as you have one. I am still a little leary of
the "official" concept, but since the official release image can't be any
worse than the official release ftp site (I assume they will be identical)
then I have no technical reason to worry. I do, however want my CD sales
to help support the project, so let me do this as soon as possible.

> 7. In addition to the fine free help you can find on debian-user, we will
>    establish a help-desk payable via 900 number or credit card. This
>    help desk will correspond with users via e-mail or telephone. Support
>    rates will be similar to those of other Linux distributions. The help
>    desk will be operated by a contractor, and will be self-supporting but
>    not intended to make money for the project. We will not prevent any other
>    organization from selling help and other services for Debian systems.

As you already know, you can put me on the list to help with this project.

> 8. Debian will remain a non-profit organization. However, we will not pursue
>    IRS 501(c)3 status at this time. The reason for this is that it is difficult
>    for a 501(c)3 organization to produce a product and collect donations from
>    people who sell that product without losing its tax status. At some future
>    date we may establish a 501(c)3 foundation to make grants to individual
>    developers for developing free software.

I'm not anything like a lawyer (thank who-ever-is-responsible) so I'm sure
I don't understand any of the above. What I need, is a place to donate
money. When an associate asks, "Where do I send the check for helping out
the Debian development group?" I have no idea what to tell them. If I knew
of an account that I could deposit money into, you would already be
getting the financial issues under control.

The first question to answer is: "Where do I send a check?"

Thanks,

Dwarf