Re: Future Debian CD plans

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Winfried Truemper wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > We would produce a new ISO image with each release. Nothing much about
> > the project as it is today would change.
>
> Just a technical issue: we should not distribute the actual image but the
> scripts to procude these images featuring "mkisofs". And we could
> already do this independently of the other plans - today.
> Such a script should check the integrity of the archive from which the
> CD is built and the "distributions" to be included (hey, there is still no
> better term!). The rest is a matter of disk-space.
>
> Producing a Debian CD seems a common problem for several users and I have
> been asked several times about this. If our goal is to spread Debian
> around the globe, it may be a good idea to make production of "own" CDs
> easier.

Good point! It is really a waste of disk space to have an extra ISO image
lying around. Providing an easy script for mkisofs is a good idea for
anyone planning to make a cd.

But still I am strongly against a split into official and non-official
Debian CDs.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de              //

   Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the
                terminal room at The Labs."
                  (By Dennis Ritchie)

   Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os !
                 Worked for me all the times.
                     -- Linus Torvalds --

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.