Re: required to be root? (Was: Debian development using ...)

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:

jplejacq >> > I have a question related to this.  It does seem that to
jplejacq >> > build a package one needs to be root.  A consequence of this
jplejacq >> > it that when I run dpkg-buildpackage, it tries to sign the
jplejacq >> > resulting package with the root pgp key.  This doesn't seem
jplejacq >> > correct to me.

One reason why debmake contains the build wrapper is to make sure enough
priviledges are available to do the job of building a package. Invoke
build with sudo (or use the settings mentioned in the README.debian)
and it should work.

Please always CC me when replying to posts on mailing lists.