Re: Next release is 1.3, not 2.0

Bruce Perens:
> 	One-floppy or no-floppy install. Easy if you have an IDE CD or
> 	one of the linked-in SCSI interfaces with a SCSI CD. Otherwise
> 	we have to run modconf before we mount it.

Boot disks using initrd (all drivers as modules)?  The competition (RH 4.0)
already has that.  No more SCSI probes confusing ethernet cards, etc.
Network installation (NFS, FTP) of the base system (!) would be nice too.

> 	Applications interfaced to PAM, passwd and shadow support only for
> 	now, no libpwdb use for now. Other PAM modules will be supported
> 	after PAM 1.0 .

Modifying applications to use PAM is probably the hardest part (compared
to adding more modules).  This is much more work than adding shadow support
(the latter is almost done right now), and there may be not enough time to
properly test it before the 1.3 release (unlike the shadow packages, which
have been in "experimental" for quite some time now).  I'd suggest to leave
complete PAM support (all modules etc.) for a future release.

This does not mean that we shouldn't start working on PAM even now - but
it probably should be considered experimental for now, just like glibc.
(BTW, much of the libpwdb functionality overlaps with glibc NSS.)

Marek