Re: required to be root? (Was: Debian development using ...)

I tried
  dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo
It seemed to work, with sudo prompting me for passwords at the clean
and binary targets, but not for the build target.

However, during the latter parts of the binary target processing by
debmstd things started going wrong:

-- Running dpkg-shlibdeps on ELF Binaries
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: chown of `substvars.new': No such file or directory
-- Checking Symlinks
dpkg-gencontrol: failure: chown new files list file: Illegal seek
dpkg-deb: failed to open package info file `debian/yorick-dev/tmp/DEBIAN/control' for reading: No such file or directory

There are several more similar problems, ending with:

-- Running dpkg-shlibdeps on ELF Binaries
dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: chown of `substvars.new': No such file or directory
-- Compressing/Converting Manpages
-- Compressing Info files
-- Compressing Documentation
-- Checking Symlinks
dpkg-gencontrol -pyorick
dpkg-gencontrol: failure: chown new files list file: Illegal seek
make: *** [binary-arch] Error 29

When I run
   dpkg-buildpackage
as root, everything works fine.  My sudoers file gives me ALL=(ALL) ALL
but perhaps I have misinstalled sudo, although it does let me do other
things as root.  Or is the problem something subtle with debmstd or
dpkg-gencontrol?

Dave