Re: CD issues

Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net> writes:

> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>
> > > How about a compromise: floppy-less install from ATAPI and SCSI CD-ROM
> > > drives, the drivers floppy still required for the other CD-ROM types.
> > > Very few people will notice - 99% of currently used CD-ROMs are ATAPI
> > > or SCSI, the "proprietary" ones are mostly historic 1x and 2x drives.
>
> > Hmm, I highly doubt that only 1% of CD-ROMs are the so-called "proprietary"
> > kind.  A lot of CD-ROMs using proprietary models are out there.
>
> It's cutting it close, but the current root.bin seems to have 99k
> free.  The sbpcd.o module is 74k ...

The modules won't be in root.bin. It is sufficient to load directly
from the rescue disk. Some of the modules that are on the drivers disk
could be moved to the first disk. Czrently 211KB are free there, this
should be enough.

> So, supposing we have drivers or modules as needed.  What do we ask
> the user to determine which one to use?  For IDE we could:
>
>  * Ask the user to insert the CD
>  * Search for a /dev/hd[bcd] with an ISO9660 fs.
>  * If we can't find one and we can't open /dev/hd[cd], suggest the the
>    user reboot with hdc=cdrom or hdd=cdrom.
>
> We could use a similar proceedure for SCSI. (Also, in either the IDE
> or SCSI case, we may be able to probe the drives to ask what they
> are..)

It is even easier for SCSI because the first SCSI CD-ROM drive always
is /dev/scd0.

> But I know nothing of sbpcd issues (and other proprietary cards) -
> some of these need some hints (via arguments) to find their CD drives.

Not knowing details is my major problem with the proprietary CD-ROM
interfaces. The latest kernel-image package has these drivers only as
modules, this avoids the probing hangs.

But I don't know which parameters are required in order to install the
respective driver module, and the new boot disks don't contain much
help on this yet.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/