Re: CD issues

On 13 Jan 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:
> John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:
>
> > > How about a compromise: floppy-less install from ATAPI and SCSI CD-ROM
> > > drives, the drivers floppy still required for the other CD-ROM types.
> > > Very few people will notice - 99% of currently used CD-ROMs are ATAPI
> > > or SCSI, the "proprietary" ones are mostly historic 1x and 2x drives.
>
> > Hmm, I highly doubt that only 1% of CD-ROMs are the so-called "proprietary"
> > kind.  A lot of CD-ROMs using proprietary models are out there.
>
> It's cutting it close, but the current root.bin seems to have 99k
> free.  The sbpcd.o module is 74k ...
>
> So, supposing we have drivers or modules as needed.  What do we ask
> the user to determine which one to use?  For IDE we could:
>
>  * Ask the user to insert the CD
>  * Search for a /dev/hd[bcd] with an ISO9660 fs.
>  * If we can't find one and we can't open /dev/hd[cd], suggest the the
>    user reboot with hdc=cdrom or hdd=cdrom.
>
> We could use a similar proceedure for SCSI. (Also, in either the IDE
> or SCSI case, we may be able to probe the drives to ask what they
> are..)
>
> But I know nothing of sbpcd issues (and other proprietary cards) -
> some of these need some hints (via arguments) to find their CD drives.

I lived with a crappy Teac CD-55A on a SB16 interface with the sbpcd
driver for a year.  As I recall, when loaded as a module, the sbpcd
driver probes all possible addresses for the various supported cdroms and
stops when/if it finds one.  I don't think this driver will cause major
problems except in cases where one would have trouble anyway.

> Also, isn't there a mitsumi driver? Is that included in the kernel?
> (I don't see it on drv1440.bin). Is sbpcd.o the only proprietary
> CDROM not in the kernel?

Newer mitsumi CDROM's are IDE, but there is a mitsumi driver for older
ones (I think).

Why not have separate boot disk images for the more esoteric hardware
like old mitsumi drives.  If you can fit IDE, SCSI, and sbpcd on a single
disk, then that would be a big step IMHO.

Syrus.