Re: CD issues

Stuart Lamble <lamble@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:

> Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net> wrote:
> >What still needs to be done to get Debian to boot from one CD and one
> >floppy?

> On a theoretical basis, it's fairly trivial: modify the root disk to
> allow users to read the base.tar.gz from the CDROM rather than floppies
> (hell, if you wanted to be incredibly archaic, you could read it from
> the floppy _images_ on the CD!) That's about it, really.

base1_2.tgz should be sufficient.  The key issue seems to be finding
and mounting the CD. Apparently, the loadable modules are on the drv
disk. How much is in the kernel on the boot disk? We may need to
place some loadable modules on the boot disk - is there currently room
for this? If not we may have to make a CD-install disk that can't do a
normal install until the CD is mounted. (The sbpcd module is 72k and
the SCSI modules add up to about 74k..)

The reason I bring this up is that the lsl.com guy called me today (we
had met before).  This is one of the big issues holding him back from
making a Debian-only CD (they already have the tri-linux CD).  He'd
like to have a one-disk boot, so he can have a disk, the CD and a
manual in one package.  Debian really needs availability like this, if
we want it to take off.  The six disk requirement is hurting Debian.

> The step after _that_ is to allow booting just off the CD: create the
> /usr, /etc, /bin, etc. directories on the CD (possibly in a subdirectory,
> with symlinks) with the same files as on the root disk.

How would you make it read-write?

> If nobody else is working on this, I'll do it over next weekend (and
> possibly before.)

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu