Re: debian menu's

> > "Gnuplot". Maybe it 'd be better if we have one file for each language
> > that contains things like (for /usr/lib/menu/LANG/Dutch [1]):
> >
> >   gnuplot Gnuteken
> >   xpaint  Xschilder
> >   xlock/random Willekeurig
> >
> > i.e. for each menuentryid a translation into the local language.
>
> There would need to be a way to translate the name of the menus
> themselves, too, right?

There would, and there is. From the (latest, not even yet released to Joey[1])
README:

  If you want to specify an icon for a submenu (for example, the Editors
  submenu), just use the same syntax but leave the command empty:

    X11 Apps menu/apps /usr/X11R6/include/X11/pixmap/icon.xpm "Editors"

So, after that menuentry is installed, the Apps/Editors submenu has
a menuentryid, and can just as easily be put in the trans file
as any other title. This is also one reason why the section of
the Apps/Editors really aught to be /Apps, with a title of "Editors",
as it would otherwise have been much more difficult.

[1] Well, it was released to Joey, but I just decided to change the
    menuentry id to make it look better. If anyone else is
    interested, the README currently shipped with the menupackage is
    broken, and on ftp://rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl/debian/upload/DEBIAN
    is one that's much more reliable (thought it refers to -10, that
    hasn't been released yet eighter)

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl