Re: Upcoming Debian Releases

> It's bit more work than a wave of my magic wand.  I posted several
> times if anybody had any suggestions, but was ignored:
>
> How would the .changes file indicate that a package would go in the
> stable or unstable section on non-free?

Could you look at the Distribution: field and see if it reads stable or
unstable?

> How to organize the ftp hierarchy in a manner that is backwards
> compatible, does not involve moving files around, and still relatively
> simple?  I've been loathe to do this because of the added complexity.

Well, this is just off the top of my head, so feel free to poke holes in
it..

Let's say that the current non-free is "stable", since most of it should
date back from rex. This plan can also work, with modifications, if we'd
prefer to say non-free is unstable right now.

Start by making these symlinks and directories:

non-free/rex -> non-free
non-free/stable -> non-free/rex
non-free/bo: subdirectory
non-free/unstable -> non-free/bo

Next code freeze, change the symlinks to look like this:

non-free/rex -> non-free
non-free/stable -> non-free/rex
non-free/bo: subdirectory
non-free/frozen -> non-free/bo
non-free/next-codename: subdirectory
non-free/unstable -> non-free/next-codename

After the code freeze, change things to the final configuration, getting
rid of the `rex' symlink:

non-free/bo: subdirectory
non-free/stable -> non-free/bo

--
#!/usr/bin/perl -i\$q='$q',\$p='$p';eval\$q.\$\^I\n"#  #   joey@kite.ml.org
$q='print"$p$^I\n',$p='#!/usr/bin/perl -i';eval$q.$^I  #          Joey Hess