Re: fully replacing files in other package?

joost witteveen writes:
> I'm inclined to think this is a bug in dpkg, but..
> I'm not sure this is due to a misunderstanding on my part, but,
> if it is, could anybody tell me how I can possibly tell dpkg
> that it should not overwrite the libs from the -dev package
> if upgrading the shared lib package?

You (the package creator) can't.  Dpkg still has --force-overwrite
enabled by default, so the user will get whatever version s/he
installs last.

> In the libg++27-dev package, I want to include the unstripped .so
> libs, as gdb needs them. But this increases the installed filesize
> by about 1.5M, so those should not be in the (small) shared lib
> package libg++27.

IMO, this is the wrong way to go about providing debug versions of
libraries.  My preference is to only support debugging in static
libraries, either as part of the -dev package or in a separate, debug
package if the size significant.

David