dpkg-divert -- How do I use it?

OK, so the programming manual _seems_ to be very clear:

   For example, supposing that a smailwrapper package wishes to install
   a wrapper around /usr/sbin/smail:
   if [ install = "$1" ]; then
       dpkg-divert --package smailwrapper --add --rename \
   		   --divert /usr/sbin/smail.real /usr/sbin/smail
   fi
     Testing $1 is necessary so that the script doesn't try to add the
     diversion again when smailwrapper is upgraded.

But I _do_ want to at least install the diversion the first time
a user upgrades from libg++27-dev_...-4 (that didn't have eighter
the diversions or the files that it diverses) to revision -6,
that does have them. So, I removed the test for "$1", and
dpkg-divert nicely tells me the second time it it "Leaving diversion..."

So, I tried removing the libg++27-dev package, but now dpkg-divert
doesn't seem to be able to remove the diversions any more:

Removing `diversion of /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1 to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1.stripped by libg++27-dev'
dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1' with
  different file `/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1.stripped', not allowed

I really don't know what that message means, of cource the
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1 and /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.27.2.1.stripped
file are different, that's why I divert them. And for the rest,
all the libs in /usr/lib are just the way I intended them to be.
So, what is wrong?

OH, BTW, I read that I'm not supposed to use divert on anything that
is critical to the system's operation. Is libg++ critical enough
not to be allowed to use dpkg-divert? I guess not (it's not essential
and such).

Background:
  gdb needs unstripped shared libs, but they are about 1.5M bigger
  than the stripped ones. So, I'd like to include the stripped
  shared libs in libg++27, and the unstripped shared libs in
  libg++27-dev (as described in a previous mail on debian-devel),
  and I also would like libg++27 not to overwrite the upstripped
  shared libs if I upgrad libg++27.

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl