Re: elf-x11r6lib? (was: Revised Virtual Package Names List)

Guy writes:
> The programmer's manual says to use elf-x11r6lib.  I remember that
> Stephen E. said that we should now use xlib6.  I'm sure he'll retain
> downward compatibility by continuing to provide elf-x11r6lib in xlib6,
> so elf-x11r6lib is a safe bet.

The programmer's manual doesn't say to use elf-x11r6lib (at least, not any
more, as far as I can tell).  It does have one reference to elf-x11r6lib,
but it is just used in an example (which probably should be changed to refer
to xlib6 at some stage).  The policy manual mentions xlib6, but not
elf-x11r6lib.

Stephen E. and I both agree that xlib6 should be used from now on (unless
somebody can make a good case otherwise?).  On the other hand, it is
reasonable to expect that elf-x11r6lib be provided at least until all
packages in the unstable release have been updated to depend on xlib6
instead.  Basically, if you're releasing a new version of a package, please
use xlib6 in preference, but there's no need to rush out and release a new
version to fix this "problem" just yet.  I'll post more on which packages
might need to be updated shortly, when I post the version of the list with
the revised X stuff in it.

				Warwick