Re: Manual pages for GNU programs: template

In message <[🔎] 32CEE128.7718B0A5@micron.net> received on Sat, Jan 4 1997
16:02 MST
Galen Hazelwood writes:
> Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >
> > I assume we want to continue to add manual pages for programs missing
> > them, when making Debian packages. I've attached a template for
> > adding them. Feedback welcome. Perhaps this could be included in
> > the man package, or dpkg-dev?
> >

> I like it.  Perhaps we can add a few more fields to the title line,
> i.e.:
>
> .TH NAME SECTION "date" "Debian Project" "Debian GNU/Linux manual"

I'd suggest something like:
.TH RPNCALC 1 "July 13, 1996" "Debian" "User's Reference Manual" \" -*-
nroff -*

(from man(7): .TH title section date source manual)

When we are at it: Lars, forgot to add ENVIRONMENT, FILES, ACKNOWLEDGMENT
sections (if appropriate). man(7) suggests:
  NAME, SYNOPSIS, DESCRIPTION, OPTIONS, FILES, SEE ALSO, DIAGNOSTICS,
BUGS,
  and  AUTHOR

But what I every time forget, is the following:
  What are the conventions for fonts in the sections.
  Are command names italics or bold in the description part?

I have the impression that both styles are common.

Later,
  David
--
David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch>  |Microsoft isn't the answer...it's the