Re: Proposal: A config file for runlevels (DRAFT)

Lars Wirzenius <liw@iki.fi> writes:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
> [ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

> Miquel van Smoorenburg:
> > > That doesn't mean we shouldn't work on making it easier to edit
> > > runlevel information. We should. But the tool should change
> > > the links, not modify a text file.

> > That's what I think.

> I installed Red Hat (eventually -- the CD or my CD drive
> is broken).  They have GUI sysadmin tools that look pretty
> nice. I think we should talk with RH and adopt them, if they
> allow it. This might be more productive than writing them
> from scratch. Remember -- we're supposedly co-operating, and
> if Debian uses RH's tools, and improves them, the whole Linux
> community benefits.

> Case in point: they have a GUI tool for editing the links.
> Looks nice, though I didn't have time to test it.

It's fairly nice for what Donnie Barnes describes as a quick hack.  I
would prefer that it had drag-and-drop also (I'm a fan of direct
manipulation).  One thing that I like about it is that it uses the
standard rc system on disk, and it groks any changes that the sysadmin
makes manually.

It's available as:

Use "alien -n" to install it.

After installing, run /usr/bin/X11/tksysv through the sed script:

   sed -e '/cp -arf/d;s+/rc.d/+/+'

to get it to work with Debian's init scripts.

For a production version, we would have to add suppression of
"README", "boot" and "rc" to the Available list, fix the backup
command and touch up the online help.