Re: Debian Specialities

Hans Lermen:
> > The other thing is the non-standard /usr/include/linux which we can't work
> > around. ... your tour now ;-)

Christoph Lameter:
> > /usr/include/linux usually contains a copy of the kernel include files not
>                                         ^^^^
Hans Lermen:
> ... which is the problem. It should be a _link_ into the real kernel source.
> ( or atleast the ./include tree of the real source )
> When people (what happens quite often) upgrade the kernel, they forget
> to delete debians /usr/include/linux and establish that link to the kernel.

There's no reason whatsoever to believe that dosemu needs to be
compiled on the same machine that's going to run it.  If I have an
Amiga running Linux 2.1.97, with a compiler capable of compiling
for i386, and I have a Pentium running Linux 2.0.60, I *should* be
able to compile dosemu for the Pentium.  [I haven't tried this
particular case, obviously.]

Anyways, this is easy to deal with, it's just that dosemu doesn't put
the place to fix it in a very obvious place.

Suffice to say that there is a place (actually, 2 or 3 places -- dosemu is
a bit sloppy) where a variable is defined that locates the kernel source
to be used to build dosemu.  All you have to do is arrange for this
variable to point at the right sources, and dosemu compiles.

It's a bit of a pain making this fix to dosemu's code each time it comes
out, but because I often am running one of two or three different kernel
versions I find it's less painful than dosemu's "you're only allowed to
have one kernel version" philosophy.  [I arrange, at boot time, to
have the proper instance of dosemu in my path, this is trivial.]

--
Raul