Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> [ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]
>
> Shaya Potter:
> > Yes I was thinking about that too, but once you have that one extra file,
> > it would just be easier to have a file that is just normal users and just
> > step through the file one line at atime,
>
> Maintaining a list of system accounts is simple (it rarely
> changes).  Maintaining a list of user accounts is simple, as long
> as they're created (and destroyed) by a single tool. However,
> that's not always the situation, since shadow has useradd
> (not adduser), and many big sites like to use their own,
> specialized tools (which can force local username policies,
> and other such things).

That would convince me, except for the fact that when a person uses their
own tools instead of the ones that come with debian, they take the risk
of breaking dpkg or other debian stuff.

> I think. It's getting late again (four in the morning). Excuse
> my rambling, but has anyone seen a bed here somewhere, or am I
> going to have to sleep on the keyboard again? I'd really rather
> not, since it tends to leave marks on my chin for the next day.

Hey that would have happened to my last night.  I started reading my
e-mail at 11:30pm and I probably would have gone to 1:00 or 2:00am but my
mother came down and threatened to pull the telephone cord out. :-).

> I've also forgotten why we were discussing the list of
> users, in the first place. I think I'm turning into a
> junkfood-in/arguments-out machine.

We were discussing how to get files into user directories b/c just
dropping a file in /etc/skell would mean all present users don't get it.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil