Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Shaya Potter:
> That would convince me, except for the fact that when a person uses their
> own tools instead of the ones that come with debian, they take the risk
> of breaking dpkg or other debian stuff.

We should avoid making it unnecessarily difficult,
though. Experienced Unix admins are going to be quite surprised,
otherwise, and that's a big minus.

> We were discussing how to get files into user directories b/c just
> dropping a file in /etc/skell would mean all present users don't get it.

Ah, yes. IMHO, in case I've left anyone confused, is that
this is a good reason for not putting anything into /etc/skel,
unless there are really heavy arguments for it. It's better
to find other solutions to the problems, especially by adding
global configuration file support to programs.