Re: .bash_profile, the empty /etc/skel, and the first user

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Shaya Potter:
> Yes I was thinking about that too, but once you have that one extra file,
> it would just be easier to have a file that is just normal users and just
> step through the file one line at atime,

Maintaining a list of system accounts is simple (it rarely
changes).  Maintaining a list of user accounts is simple, as long
as they're created (and destroyed) by a single tool. However,
that's not always the situation, since shadow has useradd
(not adduser), and many big sites like to use their own,
specialized tools (which can force local username policies,
and other such things).

I think. It's getting late again (four in the morning). Excuse
my rambling, but has anyone seen a bed here somewhere, or am I
going to have to sleep on the keyboard again? I'd really rather
not, since it tends to leave marks on my chin for the next day.

I've also forgotten why we were discussing the list of
users, in the first place. I think I'm turning into a
junkfood-in/arguments-out machine.