Re: Shadow passwords and GNU su

> jgoerzen >I see no reason not to use shadow systemwide.  I believe that
> jgoerzen >other distributions are doing that already (RedHat?) and I know
> jgoerzen >FreeBSD has been doing that for a long time.
>
> Yes. Lets do it NOW while we are fresh on bo.

I think that this is something important enough to be done even before the release of bo.  If bo takes as long to come out as it took for rex to come out after buzz, this is something that needs to be done in rex.  OTOH, if bo is slated to be released soon (making rex kinda a "stepping stone" to bo), then I suppose it could wait for bo.

I currently have the shadow packages in project/misc installed and they work fine, but there are other programs that need to be compiled with shadow support, most notably xdm and xlockmore.

Also, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/linux.cf needs to be updated to reflect the fact that shadow passwords are in use.

John Goerzen

--
John Goerzen          | System administrator & owner, The Communications
Custom programming    | Centre and Complete Network (complete.org)