"Brian C. White" <bcwhite@verisim.com>

Brian White writes:
> When I run 'dpkg-buildpackage' to build a package, it archives the
> source and makes a diff.  It then proceeds to erase the original
> source directory tree and later says that it's a diff-only upload.

I agree with Dale Scheetz.  dpkg-buildpackage is operating as
documented and designed and will not be changed.

There are some technical reasons which make it more necessary to
remove the original source directory than just to save space: if you
do not then either you must recreate the .orig.tar.gz (thus producing
a different .orig.tar.gz and breaking diff-only uploads) or somehow
guess which to use if you find both .orig.tar.gz and .orig.

If you don't like the way dpkg-buildpackage works you can easily write
your own version that fits whatever your local source code management
policy is, or write a wrapper to give it the options that control
these behaviours.  dpkg-buildpackage is a simple script which uses
only documented public interfaces to do its work.

I'm closing this bug report.

Ian.