Re: New xfree source...wow!

On Fri, 13 Dec 1996, Boris D. Beletsky wrote:

> Hi Dale, You wrote:
>  Dale>
>  Dale> I just about have my archive complete (so I can cut a CD) but
>  Dale> I need to get one more file. The source for the new xfree is
>  Dale> 37+ meg which will take me somewhere between 10 and 12 hours to
>  Dale> download. Since I have only been able to stay on-the-air that
>  Dale> long once or twice in the past year, I don't have much hope for
>  Dale> a one shot success. I remember someone commenting that there
>  Dale> was an ftp client that could recover from a broken connection
>  Dale> and begin downloading where it left off at the break. Can
>  Dale> someone point me to this package?
> Yes, in 'ncftp' you can abort the transfer and then continue with
> 'get -C'
>
> hope that helps,

Thanks for all the pointers. I just love the way this list responds to my
displays of ignorance ;-)
I got the ncftp package installed (even though regular ftp would work with
reget) and was all ready for repetative attempts. I got a good clean line
into my ISP and began the download in the early evening. Murphey was
apparently bored with me and went somewhere else. The file transferred in
one attempt, only taking about 7 hours!
Always remember the BoyScout moto: be prepaired.

Thanks for all the help,

Dwarf