debmake and the Dpkg Programmer's Manual

Bruce:
> Take my word. It's a good program and it's worth including. I now use it
> to build all of my packages. It appears to conform to your package building
> style, in fact it installs a skeleton debian/rules that is derived from your
> hello package. It accellerates package development, handles many of the
> mechanical tasks automaticaly, and checks stuff the package developer would
> often miss when building a package entirely by hand.
>
> At this point I would recommend that maintainers _always_ use it when they
> start to build new packages.

Yes, I've looked at it now and it (the debmake script and templates)
seems like a good and useful thing.  I haven't checked its correctness
thoroughly, but lots of people are using it now so it's probably OK
:-).  There seems to be some baggage in the debmake package that I
wouldn't have put there myself, but I can live with that.

Also, I'd rather the suidmanager stuff wasn't in there (even in
experimental) ...

Ian.