Re: debian menus

> ******************************
> *** One problem still unsolved (icons).
>
> I need your help::
>
> Although in the menu-entries listed above I say that the icon
> is simply the 4th entry on the line, surely this cannot be
> true: For example xterm will never be sure of the presence of
> _any_ bitmap on the system, and thus should always specify "none",
> to be safe.

I dislike your solution. Rather, if a package wants to provide an icon, I
think it should include the icon file in the package and install the icon
into some standard location. Then all we have to worry about is making
sure that the menu managers can read the particular icon format and know
where the icons are. Are xpm files ok for icons for all the X window
managers?

It would also be a good idea to standardize on a size for the icons
(small, since they will be appearing in a menu), and better yet,
standardize on a small set of colors (16 or 32 in all) that can be used by
all icons, to prevent the color map from filling up.

--
#!/bin/perl -sp0777i<X+d*lMLa^*lN%0]dsXx++lMlN/dsM0<j]dsj #  RSA-3-lines-perl
$/=unpack('H*',$_);$_=`echo 16dio\U$k"SK$/SM$n\EsN0p[lN*1 #         Joey Hess

--
This message was delayed because the list mail delivery agent was down.