Re: debmake 1.14 uploaded

Shaya Potter wrote:
> > >    * New: "build" a suid wrapper for dpkg-buildpackage and "debian/rules binary"
> > >    * New: "debpkg" a suid wrapper for dpkg.
> > >    * Suid wrappers accessible for users of group "root" only.
> > >    * Complete development cycle possible from a regular account without
> > >      having to "su".
> >
> > You've made a global decision for everyone who installs debmake that
> > anyone in group root is to be trusted with root access, and you don't
> > really tell either ?
> >
> > There is _no reason_ for debmake (or indeed dpkg) to include any
> > suid-root tools.  If people want this kind of facility it should be
> > provided by special-purpose programs like super, sudo, really or su.
>
> From my undersanding you don't have to use those tools if you don't
> want.  yes maybe it is a little dangerous to have those files on a
> system, but in reality a person can manually delete them if hje thinks
> they are a risk, and his system should still work perfectly, right?
> Maybe it should be a postinst option if he wants those files or not.

I have to say, I agree with Ian on this one.  Why is it not enough to
do "sudo dpkg ..." or "sudo dpkg-buildpackage"?  Okay, so you need to
type your password.  "Sudo" keeps a timeout on it, though, so as long
as you're using it, you only have to type the password once.  If users
are that desperate, they can write their own tiny scripts that just
call "sudo <program> <args>".

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )