Re: debmake 1.14 uploaded

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:
> >    * New: "build" a suid wrapper for dpkg-buildpackage and "debian/rules binary"
> >    * New: "debpkg" a suid wrapper for dpkg.
> >    * Suid wrappers accessible for users of group "root" only.
> >    * Complete development cycle possible from a regular account without
> >      having to "su".
>
> *WHAT* ?!!!!?!!!
>
> You've made a global decision for everyone who installs debmake that
> anyone in group root is to be trusted with root access, and you don't
> really tell either ?
>
> There is _no reason_ for debmake (or indeed dpkg) to include any
> suid-root tools.  If people want this kind of facility it should be
> provided by special-purpose programs like super, sudo, really or su.
>
> Ian.
>
>From my undersanding you don't have to use those tools if you don't
want.  yes maybe it is a little dangerous to have those files on a
system, but in reality a person can manually delete them if hje thinks
they are a risk, and his system should still work perfectly, right?
Maybe it should be a postinst option if he wants those files or not.

Shaya
--
Shaya Potter
spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil