Re: Web Standards version 2.3

Bruce Perens wrote:
[...]
> |The system will maintain a directory /var/lib/auto-www/documents . Each
>  WWW server must export this directory as "http://<hostname>/auto/".
>  Data in this directory may be rewritten while the system is operating.
>  The WWW server may write its own housekeeping files under this
>  directory.
>
> |The system will maintain a directory /var/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin . Each WWW
>  server must export this directory as "http://<hostname>/cgi-bin/auto/.
>  Data in this directory may be rewritten while the system is
>  operating. The WWW server may write its own housekeeping files under
>  this directory.
>
> |The system will maintain a directory /usr/doc . This directory is
>  restricted in that it may be on a read-only medium once packages have
>  been installed. This is an appropriate place to install program
>  documentation and examples that do not need to be re-written while the
>  system is operating. Each WWW server must export this directory as
> |"http://<hostname>/auto/doc . The WWW server must treat this
> |as read-only space, and must not write files under this directory.
>
> |The system will maintain a directory /usr/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin. WWW
>  servers must not directly export this directory. However, symbolic
>  links may be created from /var/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin to
>  /usr/lib/auto-www/cgi-bin to make CGI scripts available for the
>  server to export. Packages may install these symbolic links
>  automatically.

I've been reading the thread with interest, and now that things
are starting to settle down I still have two questions:

- Is there a simple method for the system administrator to make the doc-files
avaliable only for local users, instead of world-wide?
- Shouldn't that be a configuration-time option?

--
Enrique Zanardi                                            ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental             http://www.dfis.ull.es