Re: Proposal: A config file for runlevels (DRAFT)

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Winfried Truemper:
> I rewrote the "rc"-program so it handles _one_ config file instead of
> many links in "/etc/rc?.d/*".

A problem: how is the one config file updated when packages are
installed and uninstalled? Debian experience so far has been
that it's better to have packages install files into a directory
than to have them modify a file. The best example of this is
/usr/info/dir. I think dpkg still has code for fixing it up,
after various problems many moons ago.

I'm afraid I think this configuration file is a bad move.
Instead, perhaps the link2file.sh script could be used by
admins to get an overview of what happens at each run-level?

> Please keep traffic off "debian-devel" and direct all technical
> comments to "debian-admintool" until the final proposal is
> published. Thanks.

I'm not on debian-admintool (I'm on too many mailing lists already),
sorry.