Re: Problems with Quake and Quake-lib

Dale Scheetz:
> I just tried to install quake_1.01-2 and quake-lib_1.01-2 and ran into two
> problems that I am not sure I can resolve.
> First: quake depends on libc5_5.4.17-1 which is not the 1.2 release libc5.
> I am reticent to install this library. I am a package maintainer as well,
> and am concerned that I should not build packages with this library or
> they will not install on a 1.2 system. Is there some reason that quake
> will not build with the 1.2 release libc5?

The dependency on 5.4.17-1 is there only because I am running a bo system,
and that's the libc I have installed. It should work with any libc5,
AFAIK.

Since quake is in non-free, I guess I'd better make it useable for folks
using debian 1.2, though, so I'll rebuild the package to just depend on
libc5. Thanks for pointing this out.

> Also: quake depends on quake-lib, but quake-lib also depends on quake.
> This circular dependency makes it difficult to install (I realise that I
> can use --force-depends). Is there any reason why quake-lib should depend
> on quake? I understand why quake depends on quake-lib, just not the other
> direction.

I made quake-lib depend on quake because it's useless without quake. And
quake won't work without quake-lib or quake-lib-stub.

The circular dependancy seems easy enough to resolve in dselect, and if
you're just using dpkg, you can, as you say, use --force-depends or just
install both packages at once.

I'm cc'ing this to debian-devel because there has been some discussion of
circular dependancies lately. I'd appreciate some feedback on this -- are
circular dependencies discouraged where not absolutely neccessary? Are
they A Bad Thing? What should I do?

--
               "true - do nothing, successfully" - - true (1)