Re: deb-check 0.1 uploaded to master.debian.org

> On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>
> aj >reports warnings:
> aj >- usr/doc/PACKAGE/changelog.Debian.gz	this file should exist
> aj >- usr/doc/PACKAGE/changelog.gz		this file should exist
>
> These are not required to my knowledge. Why do they have to exist in the
> compressed form?
>
> I have several packages (perhaps 30 %) that do not provide upstream
> changelogs.

i took this from policy manual section 3.2.5 :

 3.2.5 /usr/doc/package/changelog.Debian.gz and
  /usr/doc/package/changelog.upstream.gz.

   This installed file must contain a copy of the debian/changelog file
   from your Debian source tree, and a copy of the upstream changelog
   file if there is one. They should usually be installed in
   /usr/doc/package as changelog.Debian.gz and changelog.gz respectively.

   Both should be installed compressed using gzip -9, as they will become
   large with time even if they start out small.

   If the package has only one changelog which is used both as the Debian
   changelog and the upstream one because there is no separate upstream
   maintainer then that changelog should usually be installed as
   /usr/doc/package/changelog.gz; if there is a separate upstream
   maintainer, but no upstream changelog, then the Debian changelog
   should still be called changelog.Debian.gz.

the manual should be fixed (changelog.upstream.gz <-> changelog.gz).

regards andreas