Re: debmake & dpkg

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Richard G. Roberto wrote:

richr >> - automatically locate packages when just a packagename is given
richr >>   (invoke ftp or whatever means configured to get the package)
richr >
richr >Wouldn't this require a lookup somewhere to find out where to get
richr >the file?  Where should this information be stored and how will
richr >it be managed?

I do not know. These are ideas and have to be made concrete.

richr >> - automatically install packages depended on by a package
richr >
richr >This should be an option.  Some people run stuff in /usr/local
richr >instead of .debs.  We should be able to force an install without
richr >automatically installing dependency packages if we want.
richr >
richr >Although I don't know what depends on it, I am still running the
richr >upstream ypbind.  Probably not a good example, but you get the
richr >point.

Might dpkg need an option to tell it that a package is locally provided?

i.e. do

dpkg --local-package ypbind

and thus all dependencies on ypbind are satisfied without consulting the
database?

richr >
richr >FWIW, it all sounds good to me.  I wonder how much of this is
richr >related to the work Dale is doing on the dselect backend
richr >interface?

I think dselect and dpkg need to be two different packages. Perhaps we can
make the dpkg-library a third?

PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5