Re: Is there a method of changing the name of a conffile?

I think that it is more complicated than that.

Suppose the oldfile is the old name of the conffile and newfile is the
new name for the conffile.  Since oldfile is no longer a conffile in
the new release, then it will not automatically be compared with the
version of oldfile which was shipped in the last release.  If the
versions are identical, then I want to automatically update to
newfile.  However, if the user has modified oldfile, then I just want
to oldfile to newfile.  This is all automatically handled by the
conffile strategy if the file names are unchanged.

The only method which I can determine which comes close to file name
changing is to keep both oldfile and newfile around indefinitely, and
perform the copy as you suggested.  The only way I could get rid of
oldfile is if everyone has already updated to newfile.  Really, this
method is unacceptable as well.  The user would find 2 identical files
confusing.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevin@aimnet.com