Re: Maintaining local changes to packages

liw@iki.fi (Lars Wirzenius)  wrote on 28.12.96 in <[🔎] m0vdkcx-000AjDC@liw>:

> Not everyone is a born system administrator, however, so writing
> documentation on how to do it right would be a good idea. I could
> add something about it to the Linux System Administrators' Guide,
> but a short addition to the Debian FAQ along the following lines
> might be useful:

This reminds me ... ISTR that Ian wanted to do an admin manual, in
addition to the programmer's and policy manuals. Is this still planned? It
would sure be nice.

> 	How do I replace a Debian program or script with my own?
[ snip good advice ]

Note that I originally talked about /etc/init.d scripts, which certainly
should stay conffiles even with the variables stored elsewhere.

Oh, another idea just occurred to me. There ought to be an especially easy
way to produce local packages ... there probably already is, somewhere in
debmake or related stuff, it probably just needs mentioning in the FAQ or
somewhere. ("Q: I have these files installed locally, how do I tell dpkg
about them so they won't get overwritten or something?")

MfG Kai